Studio Visit with Jenel Shaw Monday Jan 7

 Jenel Shaw is the executive director for Arts AccessAbility Network out of Winnipeg Manitoba. Through the CreateSpace Public Art Forum I was paired with Jenel for a studio visit in which we discussed my practice and where I'm going next.  We also discussed my application to the Stride Gallery's Prairie Crocus Display piece; she was surprised at how the board had so blatantly misunderstood my intent to remove the viewer's ability to physically interact with the work. Other than providing more information in my application (that they didn't list at all on the submission) she was unsure in ways I could have improved my application, and encouraged me to reapply. Some of the terminology she used such as responsible touch, crip theory, and intersectionality I found extremely interesting and would like to explore further in relation to my work. Jenel is also working to put me in touch with Allison Yearwood, Executive Director of Plug In Institute of Contemporary Art, as she thinks that Allison would be very interested in my work.

Comments